Are you considering Invisalign for you or your child’s orthodontic treatment? Invisalign is becoming a popular alternative to braces. Using clear plastic trays that fit over the teeth instead of metal brackets, this treatment is different, yet produces similar results.
Invisalign is a relatively new treatment, invented in 1997. It has gained popularity since its introduction as an orthodontic treatment option, yet metal braces are still more widely used. If you’re trying to decide if Invisalign would be right for you or your child, here are the pros and cons to consider.
Pros of Invisalign Treatment
Here are the advantages of Invisalign treatment in comparison with traditional braces:
- Invisible. The Invisalign trays are clear, meaning they don’t affect your appearance as much as metal braces. Most people won’t even be able to tell that you’re wearing your aligners.
- Comfortable. The aligners are made of smooth plastic that won’t irritate the inside of your cheeks and lips or your tongue. They also shift the teeth more gradually than metal braces, reducing the amount of discomfort you feel.
- Convenient. It is easy to take your aligners in and out as you need to. You can take them out to eat or to brush and floss your teeth.
- Comparable in price. Invisalign treatment used to be significantly more expensive, but it is now comparable in price to metal braces.
- Available from your dentist. Not all, but many dentists are now offering Invisalign. You won’t have to go to an orthodontist for treatment.
- Better for dental hygiene. Since you can remove the aligners to brush and floss your teeth, it is easier to maintain your dental hygiene. No need to thread floss under an archwire or use a special toothbrush or other tools to keep your teeth and braces clean.
- No food limitations. Since you can remove your aligners when you eat, there are no limitations on what foods and drinks you can have. You don’t have to worry about hard foods damaging your braces or your teeth being stained and leaving white spots behind the brackets.
- Fewer dental appointments. With Invisalign you won’t have to go to the dentist for as many appointments as you would in braces. Invisalign treatment only requires occasional monitoring.
- Shorter treatment period. In most cases Invisalign treatment can be completed in less time than braces.
Cons of Invisalign Treatment
These are the main drawbacks of Invisalign treatment:
- Not effective for all patients. Some patients have significant orthodontic issues that can’t be corrected with Invisalign. Invisalign can correct minor misalignment of the teeth and bite, but some patients may need braces to correct their specific orthodontic issues.
- It only works when you wear it. This is an issue for children and teens especially. It is important to wear your aligners for at least 22 hours a day. If you take them out too much or forget to wear them, your treatment won’t be effective.
- You can’t snack or drink constantly. Are you someone who likes to snack and sip on drinks frequently throughout the day? If so, Invisalign may not be for you. You can’t eat or drink anything other than water while you’re wearing your aligners.
- May affect your speech. There may be an adjustment period where Invisalign aligners will affect your speech. However, this is usually something that goes away as you get used to wearing the trays over your teeth.
Weighing the Pros and Cons
As you can see, there are more pros than cons of Invisalign treatment. But it is necessary to determine what is most important to you. Consider the significance of the specific pros and cons rather than the quantity.
Arrowhead Dental Associates Provides Invisalign Treatment
If you’re still not sure if Invisalign treatment is right for you, Arrowhead Dental Associates can help. The first step is to evaluate your teeth and bite to determine whether or not you are an ideal candidate for Invisalign. If you are, we can go over the various pros and cons together to help you determine whether or not Invisalign treatment is right for you.